My finished Captain Eo costume
My friend Bryan made a Captain Eo costume years back out of a white jacket and tic-tac boxes that he painted with Sharpie. It was easily recognizable as Captain Eo, but he always wanted an upgraded one. Several years back, there was a full scale picture of Captain Eo at Disneyland where I got a good look at the costume. Bryan once more lamented about how much he wanted a better, accurate costume, and I for some reason blurted out “I could totally make that.”
Shortly after, I began the mockup of the jacket. Using the only pattern that was ever used on this jacket (Simplicity Suedesays pattern 1947), I whipped out a rough version of the jacket. It was insane; there was so much topstitching, odd seams, and just randomness. However, it also sparked a fever inside my brain that kept telling me “if you can make this, it will look AMAZING.”
Bryan and I scoured the LA Fabric District in September of 2013 for a white poly-cotton blend that had just the right amount of sheen without being too heavy. I then got distracted with sewing my niece’s Halloween costume and work got crazy, so sewing the costume didn’t actually start until late April/early May of this year. The costume was finished the Saturday before Comic-Con.
I was terrified that Bryan was going to roast; this costume is HOT.
The jacket has 3 layers: the poly-cotton outer layer, a layer of muslin to support all the top-stitching, and a light cotton lining.
(ALL the topstitching!)
(Look at all that detailing that no one took photos of! :-( )
The pants are worse:
The bottom layer is a pair of Nike golf pants, then there are 3-5 layers of the poly/cotton, batting, and cording. Not to mention over 200 metal rivets and studs. (and a murse. I had to make him a murse).
I can’t take all the credit on this: Bryan and his friend Mal did all of the resin/acrylic and light work: all of the light boxes, shoulder rods, and all the pieces on the belt. He was an absolute trooper and had to make 3 trips all the way day to San Diego (as he lives 3 hours away) for fittings and costume piece pickups and deliveries.
Even these photos (including the higher rez version of that photo) don’t show the insane amount of detail on this costume.
The costume was a HUGE success at the Con (which I’m flattered about), but I’ve already gotten bombarded by people asking me to make one. This unfortunately was a one-time-only vanity project for my best friend, I’m sorry to say. We set out to make the insane costume and we did it. :-D :-D
My crazy-awesome friend Rachel, everyone.